Arc Flash Risk Prevention
PREVENTING THERMAL EFFECTS WITH HAZARD MITIGATION AND RISK REDUCTION
Best practice for prevention of arc flash thermal effects is to mitigate the hazards and reduce the risks. This can be done in a number of ways.
- Assess if there are safer alternatives that can be used to replace working with the potentially hazardous electrical equipment?
- When live work is being carried out, can you change the protection settings to provide greater worker protection?
- Have you re-calculated the hazard in all conditions?
- Select the most reliable electrical equipment available
- Allow for human factors, and ensure that workers and contractors:
- are aware of the hazards
- are trained and competent
- have clearly allocated responsibilities
- have clear intervention procedures.